Friday, April 10, 2009

Poetry Break: Refrain


Poem: The Library Cheer

Written by: Brod Bagert

From the Book: Shout! Little Poems That Roar

Published by: Dial Books for Young Readers, 2007

ISBN #: 978-0-8037-2972-8

Introduction:

Gather students in front of you, and ask, "What's the best thing in the library?" Accept appropriate responses as you wait for a student to reply, "Books!" Display the poem on chart paper written in two colors--one for the refrain, and one for the verses. Explain to the students that this poem is a cheer for the library's great books, and then read it with enthusiasm.

The Library Cheer
by Brod Bagert

Books are good!
Books are great!
I want books!
I WILL NOT WAIT!

Bird books,
Bug books,
Bear books too,
Words and pictures
Through and through.

Books are good!
Books are great!
I want books!
I WILL NOT WAIT!

Books in color,
Black and white,
Skinny books,
Fat books,
Day and night.

Books are good!
Books are great!
I want books!
I WILL NOT WAIT!

Sad books,
Glad books,
Funny books too,
Books for me
And books for you.

Books are good!
Books are great!
I want books!
I WILL NOT WAIT!

Extension:


Once students hear the poem, explain that you will reread it, but this time they join in on the refrain. Read the refrain together, and explain that each time they get to the text in that color they will join in. The second color is for the words the teacher reads. As students become familiar with the verses, assign specific lines to students, and have them read them out. Practice this poem often so students can begin each library lesson with a choral reading to get them ready for books!

No comments:

Post a Comment